Monday, October 29, 2007

Day of Departure - 28th Oct 2007

Appalling weather to start the trip. Lashing rain and high winds make the journey to Plymouth an expedition in it’s own right. John nearly aquaplanes in the Atom on the A30. I can’t see much through the spray. Still we survive the 200 mile blatt and check in at the port. Seems to take an age to get the bike and car loaded, and I have the guys in the loading bay tutting at me for insisting I lash the bike down myself. Their alternative is to place a massive ratchet strap over the saddle and crank it down. Not convinced that this will hold it with a rough crossing, so I use my own straps to crank the suspension down on all four corners. Find the cabin – had booked a four-berth to give us a bit of space and walk in to a room about 9 foot by 6 foot. Feeling in the mood for a debate, I raise the issue with the staff who inform us that it is indeed a four-berth cabin – two more berths fold out from the ceiling! It’s going to be a cozy night. Head to the bar to find it already packed with humanity downing lager and cocktails (it’s 4pm). Going to be a long night too.

Just as the ferry leaves Plymouth I (John) remember I have not put the hand brake on!! I rush down from level 8 to 3 only to discover the car decks are already locked. Back up to deck 6 to ask at the information desk how I can get to my car. I’m sent back to level 3 to an entrance at the stern where the kennels are. After fighting my way past 20 dogs and their owners I get onto the car deck and from the stern I have to walk half the length of the ferry to find the car. I put the hand brake on and stick it in first. What a close shave, it would have been very upsetting to return to the car after 20 odd hours of it rolling backwards and forwards resulting in cracked front panels and bashed / scratched rear end. Then back up from car deck 3 to 8. Exhausted already, time for a glass of red!

Dinner pretty reasonable, lots of seafood and a couple of nice bottles of red wine between us. Walk around the deck in the cold and wind before retiring to the palatial cabin for lights out and John’s volcanic snoring. Ear plugs needed at 3am.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK NIGEL WITH DAD'S SNORING!
I MISS YOU DAD- YOU ARE BRILLIANTLY STUPID.
MUM SAYS SHE IS GETTING REALLY GOOD SLEEP.
LOVE THE LLOYD GIRLS AND OSCAR
XXXX

Linda & Ted said...

Hi Nigel glad you are ok although a bit soggy. Ted did his 100k cycling event on Sunday over Dartmoor mega wet and windy and David did his Venice marathon in 2hrs 43 mins quite pleased but would like to break the 2.40 barrier. Sun is out today hope its shinning on you. We'll keep watching your travels keep safe Love Linda & Ted xx